Overdraft Protection | Opt in
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a secondary Mercantile account or to an overdraft line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practice. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following type of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following type of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- Everyday debit card transactions
- ATM transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will be charged if Mercantile pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of $28.00 each time we pay an overdraft.
- Also, if your account is overdrawn for more than four business days, we will charge an additional $3.00 per day, starting on the 5th business day.
- There is a limit of four overdraft fees and one daily fee per day we will charge you for overdrawing your account.
What if I want Mercantile to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and debit card transactions, complete the form below: